To leverage my years of experience crafting high quality, user-centered applications in a role as a web developer
Contract Software Developer - MSN Live Site Engineering
- Worked with a team of developers to create and improve a suite of internal web-based and windows-based tools.
- Created a variety of Silverlight applications to enhance the user experience of various intranet and SharePoint sites.
- Lead developer & designer responsible for "version 2" of a web-based scheduling application.
- Lead developer responsible for the front-end design and implementation of a WPF-based change management system.
- Improved the team's development process by instituting an automated build and deployment.
- Creator of a Perl-based content management system—Mozicode. The largest website is Photographica; a community photo-journal ran by myself that has over 17,000 registered users and 4,000 visitors a day.
- Based on usage statistics, user feedback, and new trends in technology, added (and sometimes removed) features on the website in order to improve the community and better monetize the website.
- Learned the best practices for configuration management in order to create an automated build system as well as a better organized source code repository.
- Took an old “Big Ball of Mud”, complete with inline <font> tags and all, and refactored it into a codebase that closely models the MVC pattern and whose output is standards-based XHTML.
- Migrated the database from MySQL to PostgreSQL, added referential integrity to all tables, and rewrote every query in the system in order to improve the stability, security and performance of the system.
- Almost doubled the number of comments per story by adding an AJAX-like comment system before the days of “Web 2.0”. Later replaced it and several other IFrame-based features with a more modern approach using JSON and jQuery.
Contract Software Developer
- Worked with clients to improve their websites using a wide variety of technologies and platforms.
- Worked with an extreme sports blog, kisquest.com, to allow for better integration of advertising, more control over content placement, and greater focus on the client's video content.
- Coded and shipped a new version of Azalea’s barcode software using C#, .NET and WPF.
- Worked with Azalea and their business partners at SAP to develop a new barcode feature in Crystal Reports 2008.
Front-End Web Developer
- Increased the customer conversation rate by streamlining the online checkout process.
- Improved the layout and navigation of the product and category pages to make it easy for customers to find what they needed.
- Created a wishlist feature to allow potential customers to save their favorite floor choices.
- Worked with a team of developers to create an “A/B” testing system to gauge how changes to the front-end website would affect key metrics.
- Based on a self-conducted field study, designed and implemented a new web-based Point of Sale system for the retail stores.
- Created websites for various clients using SQL Server and ASP.NET.
Co-Owner and Systems Administrator
- Installed a squid reverse-proxy to reduce server load and improve fault-tolerance.
- Improved the billing system by creating an application using WinForms and C# which integrated our backend system and our merchant account.
- Worked with business partner to design a multi-tiered backend to minimize the impact of system failures.
- Wrote a Crystal Reports plug-in which allows designers to embed barcodes in their reports.
- Worked with several other developers to create a multi-platform barcode SDK.
- Created several VBA add-ons for various Microsoft products allowing customers to quickly add barcodes into their documents, spreadsheets and databases.
- Received a Certificate in User Interface Design and Usability.
- Performed usability study of a popular open source content management system.
- Spent a summer working for a departmental computer lab helping install Active Directory.
- Provided technical assistance for a research group studying the use of eye-trackers in usability studies.
- Took courses in accounting, computer science, economics, physics and high-level math
Associate of Science
- Flash Media Server
- .NET (including v4.0)
- ASP.NET MVC
- XNA / DirectX
- ADO.NET Entity Framework
- SQL Server
- Adobe Photoshop
- Crystal Reports
- Google Analytics
- Google AdSense
- Microsoft Expression Blend
- Card Sorting
- Usability Testing
- Cross-Browser Development
- Personas & Use-Cases